Thursday, May 19, 2011

Grandmother Turns Tables, Uses Day to Show Appreciation

One determined and thankful grandmother has declared May 17 as Exceptional Children’s Teachers Day at Fayette Middle.

Life circumstances have left Rachel Pittman the responsibility of raising her grandson, Derek. Although Pittman’s situation is similar to that of many grandparents today, hers is a bit more complicated because Derek has a disability and requires special education.

“This is all new to me. I want to do my best for Derek, but I need guidance in meeting his needs,” she said.
Pittman sings the praises of the Exceptional Children’s staff at Fayette Middle who work with both her and Derek to ensure that he excels to the best of his ability. Now that she is rearing her grandson, Pittman is learning quickly how to help him both emotionally and intellectually. She credits the school’s teachers and paraprofessionals for advising her on procedures and activities she can do at home to help with his education and growth.

“Not only are they teaching him, they are teaching me. They have spent hours answering my questions, giving me advice and showing me exactly what I need to do to help him. I am so grateful,” she said.
Pittman wanted to show her appreciation to the staff for all that they have given her and Derek. She had hoped to find a special day dedicated to honoring Exceptional Children’s teachers, but finding none, she took it upon herself to create one.

On the very day the staff planned to host a Mothers and Grandmothers Appreciation Tea, Pittman decided she would turn the tables and declare it a day to honor the staff instead. In the middle of the staff serving finger foods and tea to mothers and students, Pittman made her presentation.

“You have helped me so much; I wanted to honor you today. Thank you for all of the help you have given me. Thank you for all that you do for these kids. You deserve a special day of thanks,” she told the staff.
Pittman, with Derek’s help, handed out gift boxes and appreciation certificates. She also baked and decorated a cake in their honor.

Derek was as excited about thanking his teachers as was his grandmother. It was a monumental week for him, he was one of the torch runners for the Georgia Summer Olympic games “Flame of Hope” torch relay that came through Fayetteville on May 18.

-----

Community News You Can Use
Click to read MORE news:
www.GeorgiaFrontPage.com
Twitter: @gafrontpage & @TheGATable @HookedonHistory
www.ArtsAcrossGeorgia.com
Twitter: @artsacrossga, @softnblue, @RimbomboAAG @FayetteFP

No comments: