Friday, August 11, 2006

Back in the studio!

Things are getting back to "normal." My normal. Which might not be so normal to some of you . I'm back in the studio and working hard having fun. During the recent elections I closed the doors of the studio and concentrated on other areas... Now I can focus again on making things.

I'm waiting on a kiln load to cool off now. The hardest part of the entire process is waiting for the kiln to cool down to room temperature so I can open the lid and see if I did good... or not. Open the kiln too soon and the pieces can break or the glaze can craze or even crack. Not good to hear that pinging noise when you open the kiln too soon!

Rule of thumb is that the kiln needs to cool three times the length of time it took to reach the optimum temperature. So, if it took seven hours to hit the max and click off, it'll take around 21 hours or so to cool down. In this heat it's taking a bit longer. No, it's taking a lot longer!!!

Patience is not one of my strong points but the kiln is teaching me to have a bit more.

No comments: