Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Monday, May 29th, 2006 - Good Intentions

I have good intentions. I have plenty to write about. But it seems that most of my "spare" time is taken up with writing stores for the Forum, updating my various websites and going to events for the Forum and/or for the campaign and/or for iSold It on eBay. You'd be surprised at how much time it takes to keep just this website updated! I'm thankful to all of those who send the great photos and news! I'd like to see more.

Today Greg & I started the day in Peachtree City at the Memorial Day service. It was humbling. The older I get the more I appreciate the sacrifices others have made so that I can live the great life I am living.

After the PTC event we drove into Fayetteville for that Memorial Day ceremony. Both were moving and very well orchestrated. A lot of people put a lot of heart and energy into putting the events together.

Greg is retired from the military and this day has special meaning to him. He was in Vietnam (twice) and the Gulf War, has two Purple Hearts and is the Hall of Fame at Ft. Benning. He is always extra reflective on this weekend, remembering those who died in service to their country. It is politically correct to say "made the ultimate sacrifice" these days rather than be blunt and say they died. Today I head tales of some horrific deaths. They were more than sacrifices, they were truly heroic tales of soldiers throwing themselves on grenades to save their fellow soldiers and similar feats of courage.

It's hard to think of all the many thousands and thousands who have suffered and died in past wars, and the current war. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the reality of war. I would imagine that for those who've been there, it's difficult sometimes to live with the reality of what they've experienced.

I am thankful to the many, many soldiers and individuals who fought and fight to keep our country free and to bring freedom to others. I am thankful that there are men in this world like Greg who don't think twice when it comes to serving. His entire life has been given in service to others. We in America are so very, very lucky. We in Fayette County are doubly blessed. I am triply blessed to live here, to live in America and to be sharing my life with my own brave and honorable soldier.

No comments: